Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midi notes with parameters?

sorry if i am being a little dim

but what are the parameters and how i can i use them?

Hi pushmusic,

MIDI was designed to play notes and change parameters.
    However, OSC is not designed to do that, so I had to find a solution.

A note is composed of two main things:
    • the note parameters (pitch, velocity, and aftertouch or timbre).
    • the trigger, that is what triggers the note.

This actually corresponds to two OSC messages:
    • there is one OSC message (call it P) that will "hold" or "send" the note parameters
    • and there is another OSC message (call it T) that will act as a trigger, meaning that when its value crosses 0.5 from low to hi, the note is triggered.

Basically, in the osc message that will send the note parameters, you assign the Note Parameter events, acting like some kind of "tags" that will store the values sent to them, until the note is triggered.
    For ther "triggering" osc message, you assign a MIDI Note w/ Params event, which is actually a reference to the previous osc message, the one who has the note parameters.

So, when the message T is sent to oscltr, and that its values goes from 0 to 1, is will fetch the note values stored in message P to actually produce a MIDI note.

This can sound complicated, and it is, but this is the most flexible and generic way of making MIDI notes from OSC messages.

For more info about MIDI Note w/ Params:

Cheers!
    Cam
    Last edited by camille; 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

ahh ok so i think i get it
      this make it possible to trigger a c note and then move the pitch to any other note

very cleaver

i think i have also understood why i cant seem to get my multi touch pad as a drum machine as i am setting the midi note trigger to the x value.

and there is another OSC message (call it T) that will act as a trigger, meaning that when its value crosses 0.5 from low to hi, the note is triggered.
      so the note is only triggered on half the touch pad, when the osc value for x is more than 0.5
      Last edited by camille; 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X