Wii MotionPlus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii MotionPlus

Any thoughts/plans from the developer on whether OSCulator will support the MotionPlus expansion device for the Wii Remote? I haven't got one yet, so I haven't tried it - should it just work out of the box? Could lead to some very interesting apps.

Hi,

I am really interested in this device, I will get one as soon as possible.

However, I can not offer any guarantee for support right now, but I will surely try something.

Best,

Cam

Comment

I just looked, and Play Asia will ave them on June 25th (Japanese version) and June 19th (US version), and if you aren't planning on using it with the console, either version should be fine (I think, though I may be wrong about that). FYI, I'm using a Korean market Wiimote and Nunchuk just fine with OSCulator. I just don't know if you can mix and match accessories (i.e. pairing a US Wiimote and a Japan Nunchuk). Anyhow, its EU release is scheduled later than other regions according to rumors on the Interweb.

Comment

I just bought a Motion Plus :-)

Comment

WOOT! Having fun with it on the Wii? How's it look for OSCulator purposes?

Comment

I'll tell you when I've received it.

From what I understand it gives you the instantaneous velocity.

Used with the acceleration we already know, you can calculate the position of the Wiimote.

I guess I'll have to give the Wiimote drawer a lift since it brings a bunch of new options :-)

Comment

Hi, I recently purchased OSCulator and wanted to congratulate you on your fine work - it's a joy to work with. Now that I don't have to waste time gluing different inputs and outputs together, I'm getting a lot more ideas prototyped in a lot less time.

I would like to second the requests out there for WiiMotion Plus support - that would be amazing!

Best,

AKA

Comment

Hi Camille,

Any progress with the the Motion Plus device?

Please keep us informed.

This could be a real breakthru in our use of the Wii as a musical controller.

thanks a lot

olivier

Comment

Hey Olivier and AKA,

I just ordered a Motion Plus extension this week.

I am planning to support it in the future, and will give some feedback as soon as I have made some progress on the coding.

Best,

Cam

Comment

thanks Camille,

I thought you already have it ;-)

Comment

Alright, just received the Motion Plus.

First thing maybe would be to improve Pitch Roll Yaw.

Next step will be absolute positionning and redesign of the Wiimote Drawer.

Suggestions welcomed !

Comment

For me, the most exciting thing about the Motion Plus is the ability to do absolute positioning. I'm imagining a Quartz Composer app where the Wiimote controls the X-Y position and rotation of a 3D model. I'm new to OSCulator so I don't really know if this is realistic, but that's my dream.

Comment

Hi Camille,

By "absolute position" do you mean something like getting the exact orientation of the wiimote even if it is steady?

We will still need the IR Bar to get a real absolute position, right?

olivier

Comment

He he, that is what the Motion Plus should bring.

This device contains a kind of miniature gyroscope which gives three more variables (rotations accelerations actually). Combined with the translation accelerations given by the Wiimote, you can then calculate speed and absolution position without the IR bar. The only constraint is to choose the right initial values, which can be done by a mean of a calibration process.

This is in theory, I hope the practice will follow … :-)

Comment

to cschx: yes this is the final goal, and a Quartz Composer example is a nice idea. I'm looking forward to rotating the famous OpenGL teapot!

Comment

Working...
                              X