Wii Motion Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii Motion Plus

I bought the Osculator license a week ago for a project and it has been working like a charm so far.

I am considering getting a Wii Motion Plus and was wondering whether Osculator supports this? Or if there is plans to support it in the near future?

/lars

Hi Lars,

i have received a Wii Motion Plus not so long ago. I am working on supporting this item, and think I will be able to have something working around september.

I would be interested to know what features you would expect from this device.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,

That sounds great!

The main thing for us is to be able to measure angular rotation more precisely and if possible also angular velocity. Also, looking at videos on Youtube it looks like you are also able to get the position in space (but that is probably using the IR). To be honest I don't know that much about Gyroscopes, but it looks like it can make Wiimote a lot more precise.

I have just ordered one as well - and I think we will try and hook it up to an Arduino board following this approach

Just to get started experimenting with it

Please let me know how you get on - and if you have a test build at some point I will be more than happy to test it.

cheers,

Lars

Comment

Alright Lars !

I send you an early build as soon as I have better angular measurements. This is the first step. Absolute positionning requires more work and willl be done afterwards.

Comment

Great!

Comment

I also got a motion plus just for the improved angular measurements, so I suspect there are more of us - maybe you could post the early build on the website to download?

Svein

Comment

Hello Svein,

I'd prefer to follow the rule to make releases public only when I consider then finished (in short, "not beta").

However I do accept any requests for beta testing in exchange of a useful feedback on the tested feature.

I will add your email to the list :-)

Best,

Cam

Comment

OK, thanks!

Svein

Comment

I too am hoping that OSCulator will support the Wii Motion Plus. I'm not a musician, I'm a filmmaker and 3d CGI artist. It's my hope that OSCulator could eventually drive the creative applications I use, like Maya (for animation) and Final Cut Pro (for editing).

I'll keep my eyes on the forum for updates on your progress, Camille.

Also, I pick up my copy of "Wii Resort" this Sunday, so I'll get to test the Motion Plus in action. Then, I'll see if I have any suggestions for you.

Oh, and thanks for creating such a cool piece of software!

-curt

Comment

Thanks Curt!

This is very exciting to see such interest in the Motion Plus support.

I would be curious to know what kind of "inputs" would be available in Maya. For example, does it support HID joysticks? Do you know a way to interact with this software? I will take a look at it when the work on the Motion Plus is done.

FYI, I am making progresses as it is possible to detect and correctly initialize the extension. I am able to read some raw values … stay tuned!

Comment

I would be curious to know what kind of "inputs" would be available in Maya.

Well, I can think of two ways. The first way would be by standard mouse (would that be considered HID?) inputs. A note here is that Maya and other 3D apps rely quite a bit on mouse button holds, drags and middle/right button clicks. I have played around with OSCulator and Maya in the past, and if I recall correctly, OSCulator reports a wiimote button *press* but not a button *hold*. So dragging objects around in Maya now is difficult.

Another method that I have not tried but is possible - using the Maya SDK to write a driver that reports the OSculator/wiimote input as motion capture. This would allow the user to directly map motion data onto character skeletons, in realtime, for example. But that seems like it would be quite involved.

-curt

Comment

Oh, excuse me. I just checked OSCulator with Maya, and I see that the wiimote buttons do indeed *hold* and there are left, middle and right clicks. I haven't used the software for about a year, my bad.

-curt

Comment

Hey Cam, I' also extremely interested in testing wii motion plus support for osculator. I'm currently using wii motes to control synths and other aspects of ableton live and I plan to start performing soon, but it would be nice if the wii mote could be more responsive/reliable. After playing wii sports resort I now see that this is easily possible..!! :-)

Seth.

Comment

Hi Seth,

It's nice to read that there is such great interest in that device!

As I said in a previous post, I am able to read the data from the Motion Plus extension. These are angular velocities for each axes of the remote. While this is useful information, it doesn't make easy to transform it into something that makes sense.

I'd like to mention it will take me some time to make this data really useful.

Please everyone be patient!

Best Regards,

Cam

Comment

hey cam!

first off, I love osculator! thank you for making such a sweet piece of software.

second, I guess this is the place to request wii motionplus functionality. Could you send me a beta copy with max/msp 5 example patch when ready? thanks!

justin

Comment

Working...
                              X