Balance board as midi hi-hat pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance board as midi hi-hat pedal

I have a theory that the balance board can easily be used as a hi-hat pedal for the guitar hero drum set. Just make two presets (one with open hat, one with closed on the GH drums yellow cymbal) and have the Wii balance board switch between the two presets whenever pressure is applied to it.

Unfortunately, when I connect the ballance board to OSCulator, the only thing it reads is the front button of the board. No information seems to be sending when I step on it.

Normally, I would think it's a faulty board but it all worked the very first time I used it. Just not any time after.

If someone can please help me get my balance board working, or at least try out my theory to let me know it works, that would just make my day! =D

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey Shouten,

Balance Board support has been much improved during this year, but it is possible that some boards are acting differently than others.

It would be useful to know the bluetooth address of this board, so I can check it is currently supported by the Perfect Pairing extension. Please send that information, and we'll see after that what can be done.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hey Camille,

the BT address is 00-22-cc-40-1a-42

Thanks for trying to help, I love the program. =D

Comment

Interestingly enough this address is not in the database.

This is great, I will add it right now.

If you can't wait until the release candidate at the end of next week I can send you a beta, just request it by email at camille at osculator dot net.

Comment

It's fine, I'll wait it out.

Thanks for all the help. What's the date I can expect it?

Comment

Sorry, but I can't give you an exact date.

But I can tell there will be a public release candidate around the end of this week.

I've just set-up a twitter account for those interested, follow me on "oscltr".

Comment

Hey,

My balance board still doesn't seem to be working even in 2.9. any more ideas?

Comment

Hi Shouten,

have you installed the perfect pairing extension update?

It should have prompted you on 2.9 start.

If unsure, go in the preferences, input tab.

Uncheck the perfect pairing option, restart computer.

After restart, re-check the pp option.

Try balance board. Does it work?

Best,

cam

Comment

Cam,

I installed it and reinstalled it but still nothing.

It connects quickly and without troubles, just the only thing it reads is the front "Power" button

/wii/2/button/A

is the only thing in the "Message" column

Comment

Sorry for this annoying bug. Balance board support has always been rather difficult to get right. I noticed it really changed from a model to another. Would you mind telling me when this board has been bought? Is it a Balance Board that comes with WiiFit Plus?

I will try to make a tweak to the Balance Board code for the next release candidate, though I can not guarantee it will work.

Comment

I bought it February '09 and yes, it came with the original WiiFit. Thanks for all you are trying to do for this.

Which reminds me, Happy Thanksgiving =D

Comment

Hi Camille,

I'm really enjoying Osculator by the way, so thanks very much for making it. I was just about to go out and buy Wii Fit Plus to get a balance board for exactly this reason but now I'm having some doubts. Is the balance board connectivity stability something I can expect to be OK?

Comment

I'm also guessing that the latched trigger would work better for a high hat pedal than switching presets?

Comment

Hi ajcryan,

Sorry I missed your post.

The balance board connectivity is a little bit tricky but should work 90% of the time. I had only minor reports of problems with the balance board. For security, I would suggest you check with your dealer if you can give it back with no charge.

Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

Thanks for your response. It is working a treat as a high hat pedal, and a toggle switch to change drum signals. I'm loving this! I guess the one last thing I'd love to do is to trigger a note from the balance board. I don't mind if this is a set velocity, but I can't seem to get it to send both note and velocity from the same event. Is this possible?

Comment

Working...
                              X