Panning in Pro Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panning in Pro Tools

Hi! I'm trying to emulate a surround panner in Pro Tools using a wiimote and OSCulator. I've got most of the MIDI commands mapped out to my liking, but the only problem is that using pitch up and down for the Y-axis (or front/rear panning) is opposite of what I would normally expect : pitch down pans to the rear, pitch up pans to the front. Is there a way to reverse the Y-axis in OSCulator?

Thank you!

Hi,

You can adjust the scaling by going to the Scalings Page (View menu, or click the small page curl icon on the top right).

From there, simply put 1 in Input Min and 0 in Input Max, and your axes will be be reversed.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hello - just a thought, Pro Tools parameter mix data is not assignable to MIDI messages. Only MIDI track parameters specifically. Other than that, only instruments allow any MIDI assignments.

Unfortunately, Pro Tools is not best designed for live-type gigs until this happens.

Comment

That was it! Thank you so much. I can't believe I tried every permutation (negative numbers, decimals) except that.

Comment

I'm tying to control PT with touchosc and OSCulator. I'm using it as Novation Midi Keyboard control surface. I've bi-directional fades and it's amazing. But like you, I'm not able to move the panning. The CC who control the Pan is 33 to 40. But I read on internet that the pan in PT via Midi only acept Add or Substract, and I think that OSCulator only send continus data...

Comment

Not sure if that helps, but it seems Pan controls are from CC 17 through 24 and you need to send value 127 to increment the value. I guess that value 0 would decrement te value, but I have no way of testing this.

To send a specific MIDI value, switch to the Scalings page, and set Output Min and Output Max to the same desired value.

Unfortunately even if you are able to configure your buttons that way, it wouldn't be very handy as you would need to have two buttons per pan (increment/decrement). This MIDI specification seems to be most suited to rotary encoders, and TouchOSC doesn't provide such control ...

Cheers,
            Cam

Comment

Yes, it works. I said that CC for pan is 33 throgut 40 but i'm wrong. It's like you say, CC 17 through 24. I have 2 push buttons < and >. The firts is sending 127 and the second 0. And I can change the panning. But it's not the best option, because it's soo slow... maybe in a new version of touchosc we'd do it so much better.

Comment

Working...
              X