Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

live8 computer to vdmx computer over osc with osculator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• live8 computer to vdmx computer over osc with osculator?

Hello,

I have used osculator to get wii remotes as controllers for apps, but what I am trying to do now is quite different.

I'm working with two machines, one running vdmx, and another running Live8 (no live4max, so no osc support). Both machines are on the same wifi network.

Is it possible to use osculator to interpret midi from ableton into osc to send to the vdmx computer?

(I was trying to get it to work with a small app someone made called 'MIDIviaOSC' and got the hosts to recognize one another but VDMX didn't pick anything up, then I remembered OSCulator and thought it might work better.)

Hi Weevil,

Yes, this is possible since version 2.9 (release candidate), and it's very easy. Basically, you just have to active the Raw MIDI option and route that messages over OSC. Here are the detailed steps.

- Launch OSCulator on both machines

- On the sending machine, open the Parameters window, go in the Inputs tabs, and select "Raw" for the MIDI popup button.

- Send some MIDI to make the MIDI over OSC message displayed

- Configure that message with a OSC Routing event, and choose the second computer as a destination (it will be in the list since OSCulator automatically detects other instances running in the neighborhood)

- Send some MIDI again to push the messages to the second machine

- On the receiving machine, choose a "Send to MIDI" event and set the value column to OSCulator out (basically the only option but that will evolve in the future).

As a side advice, if you are using a wireless router between your two computers, there will be some jitter, delay and lost packets during transmission, event if the computers are two inches from the base. The best option to connect two computers is either with a RJ-45 cable or an ad-hoc network (computer to computer).

Tell me if everything works alright for you!

Cam

Comment

If I understood this is a MIDIoverLan substitute, isn't it?

If I connect two computer via network cable and use OSC as interpreter I can simulate a Midi network without using a Midi interface...

(maybe I need to re-read the manual...:-)

Comment

Yep, you can transmit MIDI over the network, but this is something you can also do with the Networked MIDI interface on Mac OS X, maybe with better precision.

However MIDI over OSC can be useful in situations where you want to transmit MIDI to a Linux or Windows box that doesn't understand the Networked MIDI from OS X.

Comment

Building off this method, is it possible to send to two different osc clients at once in osculator?

The setup now is one ableton live8 machine, hosting an ad hoc wifi network, and then two machines with VDMX on the same network. If I can't find a way to work it with Osculator or MidiViaWifi, I'm probably going to have to find someone with experience with max4live to help write a patch.

Comment

Building off this method, is it possible to send to two different osc clients at once in osculator?

Yes, totally.

Just duplicate the /midi/raw message (Command-D), and assign different destinations.

The setup now is one ableton live8 machine, hosting an ad hoc wifi network, and then two machines with VDMX on the same network. If I can't find a way to work it with Osculator or MidiViaWifi, I'm probably going to have to find someone with experience with max4live to help write a patch.

Please let me know of your findings.

I am pretty sure it will work fine!

Best,

Cam

Comment

It works! This has been a life saver. After giving up on the app that the VDMX coders wrote for midi over osc (which only seems to support a one-client one-server setup) we had been trying to get it working with Max4Live and having problems. Osculator is working great though!

One question- right now, we have two machines listening to the same midi channel coming from live, which may work. However, it would be easier to build our set if we could have two discreet midi channels coming from live, one specifically for each VDMX machine. Is there a way to do that, to your knowledge?

Comment

Yes, but this is not something you can do in OSCulator: it merely packages the MIDI data it receives into OSC packets and unpackages it on the other side. What you can do however is use the great MidiPipe free software to filter MIDI from OSCulator to a new virutal MIDI port.

In MidiPipe, create a simple pipe with :

- MIDI In : set to OSCulator's output

- Channel Router : map source channel to destination channel

- MIDI Out : leave the default "MidiPipe Output 1" and use it in Live instead of OSCulator's output

Then save this pipe for later use, that should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                X