No announcement yet.

Osculator + animata + Wiimote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly i found this: http://usinganimata.wikia.com/wiki/Animata_OSC_Commands
    It mentions port 7111 not 7110

Everywhere else it mentions 7110. In fact the link for the wiki info comes from Original Hamsters site, which has now moved the Mansteri who has these instructions:

Comment

Hmm struggling here! So it looks like I have setup everything right (see pics). I have named the joint 'wrist' and think i have got OSCulator routing OSC from port 7110 to Animata, but Animata is non-responsive. Is there someway I can snoop on the OSC output of OSCulator to make sure it is transmitting out ok? At least that would rule out OSCulator!

Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 22.37.56.png
      Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 22.37.43.png
      Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 22.37.23.png

Am I missing something? Do I need to add more information into the parameters window in OSCulator? Is the routing ok?

Comment

Hi,

I think the port 7111 is the port to which Animata transmits its OSC output to the localhost (current computer). So if you wish to listen for Animata OSC messages, open a OSC server on port 7111 (i.e. open a OSCulator window and set its input port to 7111).

Cam

Comment

Are you sure the OSC message should be /forearm and not /arm.
          I can see in the Animata screenshot a folder named "arm", but nothing with "forearm", or maybe it is located somewhere else in Animata.

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
            Hi,

I think the port 7111 is the port to which Animata transmits its OSC output to the localhost (current computer). So if you wish to listen for Animata OSC messages, open a OSC server on port 7111 (i.e. open a OSCulator window and set its input port to 7111).

Cam
            Thanks Cam,

I am trying to get Animata to listen to OSCulator so I guess 7110 is the correct one for this then?

Comment

Yes, 7110 is the port to which you must send OSC messages.
              Though I have not seen the OSC target #1, so I suppose it looks like :

Code:
              osc.udp://localhost:7110
              or

Code:
              localhost:7110

Comment

Are you sure the OSC message should be /forearm and not /arm.
                I can see in the Animata screenshot a folder named "arm", but nothing with "forearm", or maybe it is located somewhere else in Animata.
                forearm.png

the yellow selected bone i have called 'forearm' and the layer folder top right is called 'arm'.

For the test i just want to make one bone ('forearm') and one joint ('wrist') move.

Just to confuse matters the actual nmt file is called armTEST.nmt, could this all be down to naming?

Comment

From the page you gave earlier, I don't see a /forearm OSC message.

The only one that would match what you want to do would be /joint with a string argument "wrist" and two other float argument for X and Y.

You can also try the message /anibone "wrist" <float> to change the length of the bone.

So the problem you are having is that you are an OSC message that Animata does not understand, unfortunately it does not notify you that the message does not mean anything.

Comment

The only one that would match what you want to do would be /joint with a string argument "wrist" and two other float argument for X and Y.
                    I see! So if in OSC routing parameters I have the rewrite address as /joint (top field) then "wrist" f:arg[0] (second field)?

I have noticed the cog beside the hostort has these options but does not show Animata - do you get the same? Should it be visible?

Sorry so many questions, I really really appreciate it!
                    Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 23.12.46.png
                    Last edited by APC; 07-03-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

In the case of /joint, there are three argument :
                      - join name (string, "wrist")
                      - X (float)
                      - Y (another float)

Here you have configured your routing with only one float argument, so the best candidate would be /anibone. Try with /anibone first, and see if you get a result in Animata

Comment

Thanks Cam is this looking like what you mean?
                        Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 23.32.53.pngScreen shot 2012-07-02 at 23.33.05.png

Comment

Just remove "wrist" and <float> from the address, these were only descriptions of the arguments in my previous message.

Also you should set the last option (Route when) to the first menu item (Any value is processed). With the current setting you will get none or weird results.

Comment

ok i think i am getting it my tired head around it! Still trying the joint bit:

/wrist = name of joint in Animata
                            x = 223.66 the current x position
                            y = 86.2319 the current y position

So in OSCulator i set up the rewrite addresses like this:

Should it be all three check boxes checked?

Then these OSC Routing parameters:

I set up my mac as the host #1 and Animata as #2 (default). Is this right?
                            Then in the rewrite address I have Animata OSC Command (with that weird default icon D selected and not #1,#2, etc).Is this as it should be?
                            Last edited by APC; 07-03-2012, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Hi APC,

I'm happy to see you are making progress but may I make a suggestion?

You should really take a the time to read the manual (check the Help menu of OSCulator). OSCulator enables complex things in a simpler user interface, but OSC is still a fresh technology and the concepts behind it need to be known at least a minimum if you want to use them. The PDF manual contains a lot of useful information that will help you save long hours of configuration and frustration.

In your first screenshot you have assigned the same OSC routing to the TUIO message, its first argument and its second argument. There is no need to do that. Just leave the first OSC routing, and remove the two others.

Another suggestion, why wouldn't you describe exactly what you need to do, I could give you the detailed steps for the configuration. Fixing the configuration problems is more difficult than following a recipe.

Should it be all three check boxes checked?
                              The purpose of having the Enable checkboxes checked is to let the Events trigger when a message is received, so I guess it would do no harm to let them checked, since there is no event assigned.

I set up my mac as the host #1 and Animata as #2 (default). Is this right?
                              Why are you setting you mac as target #1?
                              What is the purpose of that?

Also, Animate does not need to be the default target.
                              Default Targets are only useful when you need to send data back to another device and have everything configured for you automatically. For example suppose you have TouchOSC controlling Ableton Live, and you want to have Live control back TouchOSC.

You are making things much much more complicated than they should be.
                              Simply define your Animata target in a target you define, and use that target for your OSC routing.

Finally the OSC message address and arguments are wrong.
                              1. Animata expects the OSC message "/joint" with 3 arguments ("wrist", and two floating numbers).
                              Not "/joint wrist 223.66 86.2319", this does not make sense, and is not a valid OSC message address.

2. In the argument tokens, you have the "wrist" argument, but there is only one float. Animata expects, two floats. Which means that you need to add another floating argument.

Best,
                              Cam

Comment

Working...
                              X