Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native WiiMote Speaker

Hi all out there in OSCulator land!

So, I know this is a pervasive question, but has there been any forays into the ability of sending audio to the speaker. I have seen a YouTube video involving GlovePie, but this is simple synthesis. This topic was discussed a few years ago on Cycling 74's MaxMSP Forum, but nothing decisive came of it.

Just curious if there is anything new in this direction. Although for what it's worth, I did find this discussion on the topic,

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?11,19812,page=1

but unfortunately this is slightly over my head in practical terms. What I glean from this discussion is that soundfiles with headers do not work and raw pcm or ogg files are used and the bits have to be sent in batch, but other than that I am wondering if there is anyway 'you' could think of.

Hey Ken,

I have access to the internal speaker, although it has not been extensively tested yet.

The real question, in terms of "user experience", what exactly would you like to do with this speaker?

I had in mind the idea of creating a virtual audio interface in the system that would allow the user to send audio to that virtual interface, and play it back on the Wiimote. This looks like a hammer to crush a fly, but it would be fun to hack tho.

About the file format: I don't know exactly how the files are played in the discussion you are refering to, but what I can tell is that the Wiimote doesn't play any file format at all, it is very basic, you simply send raw data (something in the lines of 8kHz / 8bits), but it has to be decoded first.

Best,

Cam

Comment

A quick update on this subject :

After a week of work, I have managed to stream audio data to a Wiimote, even multiple Wiimotes. But the sound quality was so bad and unstable I decided it was not worth spending more time on this feature.

If anyone wants to try and play with this version, just request it to my email address.

Comment

hi camille may i have this version were you can send audio to the wiimote speaker? it would be great for me as i have a wiimote attached to my guitar and i am thinking it could be useful as a click reference track for me if a find the way to plug de speaker out to a headphone, it could be great for a drummer too, cause it is wireless... don´t you think?

regards.

Comment

Hey poyodiaz,

I'm sorry but I don't distribute this version anymore. I haven't had enough feedback from previous users, and it doesn't work very well either because of the way the bluetooth driver works on Macs.

It would have been really cool, but unfortunately it does not work well enough for me.

Best,
          Cam

Comment

ok no prob, i guess i found the infi to late :P

thanks anyway for the reply...

Comment

Hi Camille,

I realize this thread is fairly old, but I would like to bring it up again. Me along with some other game interested people discussed the function of the internal speaker. We are making no graphic games relying on movement and haptic feedback.

Normally I would say the Playstation Move controller has the advantage over the Wii Remote, since its has a better accelerometer, magnetic sensor and the coloured ball. However, it does not have an internal speaker like the Wii Remote has.

We are quite excited about adding this element to our games. For now it would be interesting to try simple sounds or beeps so the sound quality is not an issue. We are using Processing as a prototyping platform. Is there a way for us to access the speaker?

Best,
              Adam

Comment

Dear Adam,

This experiment is unfortunately over. The goal was to stream any source source to the Wiimote, but the quality of the streaming was too poor.

I will try again with more simple sounds after the next update is released (2.12).

Best,
                Cam

Comment

Fair enough, it is great that you are still looking into this.

Big thanks!

Comment

Wiimote speaker

Any way I can get a copy of this? I just bought osculator and I need to stream single notes to the speaker for a project that I'm doing. It doesn't have to be good quality. If so.. Are you able to set it up as an output, or just stream from a file?

Thanks,
                    Greg

Originally posted by camille View Post
                    Dear Adam,

This experiment is unfortunately over. The goal was to stream any source source to the Wiimote, but the quality of the streaming was too poor.

I will try again with more simple sounds after the next update is released (2.12).

Best,
                    Cam

Comment

That was a long time ago, I will have a look tomorrow if I can find a previous build or merge some code in the current version.

Comment

Thank you so much! This is going to make my project amazing! Let me know when you get it.

Comment

Please write to me at camille at osculator dot net and I will send you a build with speaker support merged onto the latest version. I managed to improve the sound quality a bit, but still not very convincing I guess, and a bit tedious to set-up.

Comment

Working...
                          X