Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Pro - Share Controller Assignments

Hello again.

So I'm loving this application. It works wonderfully. My question is more related to the Logic side of things.

I am attempting to create a Logic Template that is fully setup to send and receive midi data from TouchOSC through OSCulator.

I have Environment all setup and I did all the learn assignments.

However when I "SAVE AS TEMPLATE" my learned controller assignment do not get saved with them.

My goal is to be able to share a Logic Template with an OSCulator Preset and a TouchOSC interface with everybody who wants it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Logic 9

MacBook Pro 15" intel

snow leopard 10.6.3

Hey Colin,

I would guess that the controller assignments being deleted from the template file is a by-design feature.

What you could try (I have not tested myself), is to save you project, and select the project file in the Finder.

Now open the Info panel (Command-I) and check "Stationery pad". When you double click this file, this will copy it before opening it in Logic. A bit like a template, but granted, not exactly the same.

Cam

Comment

For some reason the "Stationary Pad" box is not allowing me to check it.

I think you are right that it is by design. That's dumb.

I guess the next move is to try to create a virtual controller with preset assignments? Ha. I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for the help Cam.

Comment

So I've been combing the web looking for information on this. Doesn't seem like you can share controller assignments set from a floating port number.

I found a workaround that may work. Instead of mapping all your controller assignments from TouchOSC you map them to the IAC bus. The IAC doesn't have a floating port number, so if everything is mapped there you can share the settings by sharing you .plist preference file.

I followed these instructions:

The IAC Tip

1. Cut the "Sum" cable from the Physical Input and cable the IAC (Bus1) port to the Monitor object (1) - see the pic below. You can name the Monitor (IAC Bus1 IN) etc.

2. Cable all physical ports to the "Sum Physical Ports" Monitor object (2).

3. Create an Instrument object (3), assign its port to IAC, set its midi channel to "All" and cable from "Sum Physical Ports" Monitor object (2).

4. Create a new Fader in the Environment and cable it to the IAC Instrument as shown (4).

5. Move the fader of your external controller you plan to learn to see what is its CC# and channel# in the "Sum Physical Ports" Monitor. (You can skip this step if you are familiar with the physical fader/knob hardware CC assignment previously).

6. Select the virtual fader (4) labeled as "Temp Learn" in the environment and set its output CC definition number and midi channel to match your external controller you plan to learn in the inspector.

7. Save your new midi setup as a Logic template song.

8. Press (Command+K) to open the Logic CA expert dialog. Do the standard "learn" procedure to learn any channel strip or plugin parameter but instead of moving the external controller fader/knob you must move the virtual environment fader labeled as "Temp Learn" (4). This way Logic CA will be learned from the IAC bus (you will see that in the CA expert dialog). After this "Dummy" learn process you can tweak the physical controller - done!

The method must solve the "Input Floating Ports" problem cause all CA assignments will be learned from the IAC port which is constant (non-floating until you may decide to switch it OFF in the Mac AMS).

The other good side is if you decide to move your Logic Preference file ( i.e CA) to another machine - all assignments must work this way ( I did not try yet but in theory it must work ).

Another advantage is that you can patch lots of interesting "Transformer Gears" between the "Sum Physical Ports" Monitor (2) and the Instrument IAC port (3). In other words you can use the Logic Environment as an advanced "MIDI JUNCTION" engine serving its midi processing to other apps, CA etc...

So I got it to control my fader, but I can't get it to send information back to TouchOSC through OSCulator. In OSCulator - the little box flashes red when I try moving the fader inside of Logic. I tried rebooting OSCulator but not luck like last time.

If you think this is a workable idea let me know. If not, let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I see.

The problem must be that the IAC port's output must be routed to OSCulator's input.

In the next version OSCulator will support the selection of a specific MIDI input and output, but right now you will have to use MIDI Pipe or MIDI Patchbay.

I hope this will help …

Comment

Working...
          X