Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSCulator to Arduino Mega for triggering solenoids

Hello,

I'm trying to send MIDI data from OSCulator to my Arduino Mega through a serial port. Is this possible to do? I read some forum discussion from 10 years ago but it seems to not have continued. I can get the MIDI from Logic Pro X to correctly register into OSCulator, I just can't figure out how to send it from OSCulator to my Arduino Mega.

Any ideas on how to do this?

And in general, I just purchased OSCulator 3.0 and am having a difficult time! I'm a musician by trade and have little to no experience with coding and tinkering with tech in general. All of the documentation (manual, videos, etc) are for older versions and I can not understand what to do in OSCulator. Thanks in advance for any advise! Please let me know if you need more info from me to understand the situation.

Ok update, I found a solution if anyone else needs to solve this problem in the future! I had Chat GPT write me the following python script to create a bridge similar to "Hairless Bridge" that works on Windows.

import serial
    import mido

# Set up the serial connection to your Arduino
    # Replace '/dev/cu.usbmodem143401' with the correct port for your Arduino
    ser = serial.Serial('/dev/cu.usbmodem143401', 9600, timeout=1)

# Set up the MIDI port
    # Use the name of the port you created in your IAC Driver, in this case, 'IAC Driver Output to Arduino'
    midi_port = mido.open_input('IAC Driver Output to Arduino')

print("Sending MIDI messages to Arduino...")

# Main loop to listen for MIDI messages
    try:
    for msg in midi_port:
    # Check if the message is a 'note on' or 'note off' message
    if msg.type == 'note_on' or msg.type == 'note_off':
    # Convert MIDI message to bytes and send over serial
    ser.write(msg.bytes())
    print("Sent:", msg)
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
    # Close the serial port when done
    ser.close()
    print("Closed MIDI and Serial connections.")

# Use this to close the serial port if the loop exits without a keyboard interrupt
    ser.close()

Running this in terminal I was able to send OSC messages from OSCulator into the serial port, which Arduino then could interpret. Here's an overview of the final version of the project...

Logic Pro X (create midi instrument track and put in notes) ---> IAC Driver (create a port on the IAC Driver and in Logic make the MIDI Instrument's "MIDI Destination:" your newly created port) ---> OSCulator (the only thing you need to do is in the "Devices" tab select your IAC Driver you created under the "MIDI Input Ports" column) ---> Python script (script above, creates a bridge to pass the OSC messages) ---> Arduino Mega

If anyone is trying to do something similar and have a hard time I'd be happy to give advise if I can.
    ?

Comment

Working...
    X