Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending out of OSC *Noob*

Hi All,

First post. I've managed to work out most stuff by myself but I'm stuck on one particular thing.

What im trying to do is when OSC receives a particular MIDI note, it sends a a OSC command out over wifi.

I can get everything from the ipad into osculator no problem, it's just the messages where im stuck.

What i've done is setup the Target under OSC Routing (ipad running lemur xx.xx.xx.xx:8000), I've been told i need to send a "/Interface 0" and a "/Interface 1" via OSC.

I can see the two midi notes arriving in osculator, and have set their event type to OSC Routing but i'm lost on what to do from here.

If someone can let me know what I need to do to finish this and make it so that when the note comes in it sends out "/Interface x" via OSC that would be great.

Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks!

Hi rfkt,

Welcome on the forum!

Let's write a list of what you need, and break it down in smaller parts:
    • Receive a specific MIDI Note
      • When the note is on
        • send the OSC message "/Interface" with the integer argument 0
      • When the note is off
        • send the OSC message "/Interface" with the integer argument 1
    The first thing is to receive this MIDI Note.

The OSC message for MIDI notes in OSCulator is /midi/note/1 where 1 is the MIDI channel on which the note is received. This message has 3 arguments : pitch, velocity and trigger (1 for 'note-on' and 0 for 'note-off').

If you select the pitch argument and open a Quick Look window, and play some notes you will see something like this:

quicklook.png

As you can see, you have all the pitches, and you want only one. To do you this you need to use the "Demux" (or demultiplex) command that will show you the different values right into the main list. So, select the "pitch" argument, and choose Edit -> Demux. Then play a note again. You will see it appears in the list like this:

midi note 2.png

At this stage, we are ready to configure the OSC routing (the template used to send OSC messages).
    Open the Parameters window, and go to the OSC pane.
    It seems you have already configured the target, so I will skip that part.

Under the table at the bottom, click the + button. This will create a new OSC routing.
    Change its target to 1 (or whatever target you choose have configured for the Lemur), and click the pen button to edit this routing. In the rewrite field, enter /Interface. You should then have something like this:

midi note 2b.png

You can now assign the newly created OSC routing to the "trigger" argument (as pictured in the previous picture).

Finally, as you may have noticed, we want to send the /Interface OSC message with the value 0 when the note is on and 1 when the note is off. The output values are the opposite of the input values. Let's change this by editing the values in the Scaling Page, press Command-F.

midi note 3.png

At this point, you should normally have reached the desired goal.
    Please let me know if there is anything that needs more details or if you have further questions.

Best,
    Camille

PS: You have not told if the MIDI port you receive from is on a physical interface. If so you have to activate the MIDI input in the I/O Parameters pane.

Comment

Super!, this post helped a lot to get stated with osculator.

Comment

Working...
      X