MIDI Velocity to OSC Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI Velocity to OSC Label

I'd like to print the velocity of an incoming midi note to a label in TouchOSC but I'm hitting a wall on how to get there. Ideally I think I'd want it to look like this; Message to Osculator: 90 01 7F Message out: /osc/velocity/label 127

Do you want to print the velocity of a specific note or any note on a MIDI channel?

Comment

Specific note.

Comment

Here are the steps to do this:

• First, we need to reveal the velocity from a specific (use C 60 for the purpose of this example). You should have /midi/note/1 for the notes received on channel 1.
          • Select the first argument (pitch) and choose Edit -> Demux.
          • Then play C 60 again you will see that a sub-message is created with the velocity and trigger of the note C 60.

• Since velocity in OSCulator is between 0.0 and 1.0, we need to scale it.
          • Select the velocity argument of this sub-message and display the scalings Page (choose View->Flip to Scalings Page) and change the Out Max column value from 1.0 to 127.0.

• The next step is to create the OSC Routing to send the velocity value to TouchOSC.
          • Open the Parameters window and go to the OSC Routing tab.
          • Press the + button to create a new OSC Routing and the pencil button to edit it, the OSC Routing editor window will show up.
          • Type in the address field the OSC address of your label. I used /1/label1, in your question you mentioned /osc/velocity/label.
          • In the arguments field, replace the <all args> token with arg[0] so we can change the type of the first OSC argument to an integer to have the proper formatting.
          • Hover your mouse over the token and click the triangle to show a contextual menu and select "as integer". The token will change its name to i:arg[0].
          • This step is optional. I changed the "Route when" menu to "The value goes from 0 to positive" because the MIDI device I used to generate notes was producing 0 velocity on Note-Off.
          • Close the Parameters window.

Attached is the file for this configuration, I did not include a TouchOSC layout because it merely requires a single label with OSC address /1/label1.

Please let me know if you have further questions!
        Cam
        Attached Files

Comment

Works great thanks. I did have to do the OSC Routing change first before it would let me change the Out Max column.

Comment

This is correct, but only for versions older than 2.12.7.
            It is actually possible to adjust scalings without having an event assigned.

Comment

Working...
            X