Connecting Wiimote controller on M1 Mac with OSX 12 Monterey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Wiimote controller on M1 Mac with OSX 12 Monterey

I'm having issues connecting the Wii Mote. The default apple bluetooth prompt forces a passkey which is never accepted. I read in this wiki that the passkey can be figured out if the address is known, and then deciphered from there: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote

Any updates on how to make this happen? I'd like to use it with VDMX and I believe you wrote those plugin for that?

Thanks!

Hi,

could you please tell how do you start connecting the Wiimote to OSCulator?

What you describe usually happens when you press button 1&2 together.

Thanks!
    Camille

Comment

Hi,

M1 pro mac user here also, so with Monterey.
      I have my last Intel Macbook with me to. In this mac (intel) Wiimote worked well with Monterey but was already paired with my computer before update...
      I tried to connect with my new computer (red button and press pair a wiimote), and get this error :

A discovery process is already running in another window.

So i tried to delete old Wii in old MBP with bluetouth preferences. And now neither computer can pair a new Wiiimote.
      Get the same error msg error in the old MBP intel.

Wen i press the button pair a Wiimote after reboot first time look doing nothing and second press give the error message.

If i press the red button with BL preference in front of me i can see the Wiimote and try to connect but preferences ask me a password.

Never had problems with connexion or paring and i use OSCulator a lot!

Ask me if you need more precisions... I suspect a Monterey issue here??

Thanks,
      Mika.

Comment

Hi Mik,

Pairing with the Bluetooth Preferences Pane will always display the password prompt.

Let me find a computer with macOS Monterey and do some tests, I will be right at you.

Best,
        Camille

Comment

Hi,

I was just able to reproduce the issue on an M1 Mac with Monterey.
          I will now try to reproduce and fix on an Intel machine with Monterey.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,
          Camille

Comment

Ok!

To reproduce this error on Intel chip i just removed all the Wii connected in the BLE preference pannel in Macos... I tried to reconnect from scatch in OSCulator.

Thank you!

Comment

Hi mik,

I have been able to reproduce the problem on an intel mac running Monterey 12.0.1.
              Now I'd like to understand what is going on…

Best,
              Camille

Comment

Thanks Camille for looking into this! For a while I took a deep dive into the WiiBrew wiki to try and figure it out. I guess the passkey can be determined from the Mac address, but I was unable to grab the Mac address from the remote I have: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote

I'll buy a new remote if that solves the problem.

Thanks!
                Cornelius

Comment

Hi all,

I'm sorry about this issue.
                  I have filled a bug report with Apple, now waiting for their feedback.
                  Hopefully this will be fixed in the next macOS release.

projectileobjects you don't need to try finding the device passcode.
                  OSCulator uses a custom pairing procedure that works well on a supported versions.

Best,
                  Camille

Comment

Hi there,

MacOS Monterey 12.1 still exhibits the same bugs.

I found other developers complaining about the various bugs found in the macOS Bluetooth stack.

Stay tuned for a future macOS version that works.

Best,
                    Camille

Comment

Hey - having the same issue (not being able to to pair WiiMote on MacOS 12.5) - is there any solution or BETA available? THX

Comment

Dear AbletonDrummer,

I spent countless hours trying to find a workaround to no avail.
                        I repeated my feedback to Apple asking for a fix.
                        My understanding is that Bluetooth on macOS Monterey is working for a well specified selection of devices.
                        I will test Ventura to see if anything changes…

Best,
                        Camille

Comment

Hi Camille,

Hope this is fixed in Ventura. If not, I have read that some people have successfully been able to pair wiimotes with Monetery in Dolphin, a Wii emulator, using a Windows-only bluetooth dongle and Dolphin's "bluetooth passthrough" feature, which seems to bypass the OS's bluetooth stack(?) and use the dongle directly. Do you think there is any potential for Osculator to take adavantage of this sort of thing?

Source

Thanks,
                          Jordan

Comment

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for sharing this link with me, it’s interesting.
                            I understand the “Bluetooth pasthrough” is a way to expose a raw device to the Wii emulator, therefore bypassing the macOS stack in order to let the Wii operating system take control over the external dongle.

Unfortunately I’m afraid it will not help because OSCulator does not use a Wii emulator to control the Wiimote, rather it uses an embedded driver that is built upon macOS technologies (IOKit, IOBluetooth, etc.).

Best,
                            Camille

Comment

Hi all,

I have checked if any progress has been made under macOS Ventura (latest version 13.0 Beta 22A5352e).

Unfortunately it is still not working, but there is some progress:
                              Unlike on macOS Monterey, the Wiimote is discovered, but the process fails at the next step, during custom pairing.

I cannot tell wether it will work when macOS Ventura will be officially released.

Best,
                              Camille

Comment

Working...
                              X